Present-Use Tax Plans
Present Use Value Assessment program provides for a reduced tax rate, or deferment,
if you are practicing sound forest management. Businesses and private individuals
have different qualification requirements, depending on land ownership and
other exceptions. There is a 20 acre minimum woodland requirement but this
can also have some exceptions. Contact William H. Lock & Associates, Inc.
at (336) 632-9088 or email@example.com for
information or assistance in obtaining Present Use Taxation for Forestry.
Once qualified, the landowner can realize a substantial reduction in the amount of taxes owed. The landowner must continue to practice sound forestry and be able to provide information and proof to the County that forestry is being practiced.
The application for Present Use Value Assessment for Forestry requires a complete copy of your forest management plan. The property must be actively engaged in the commercial growing of trees under a sound management program as of January 1 of the year for which application is made.
As stated in the application, the elements in a written plan for a sound forest management program are as follows:
- Management and Landowner objective statement - Long range and short range objectives of owner(s).
- Location - Includes a map or aerial photograph that locates the property described and also delineates each stand referenced in the description/inventory/recommendations section.
- Forest stand description/inventory/recommendations should include a detailed description of various stands within the forestry unit. Each stand description should detail the acreage, species, age, size, conditions, topography, soils and site index or productivity information. Stand-specific forest management practices needed to sustain productivity, health, and vigor must be included with proposed timetable for implementation.
- Regeneration/harvest methods and dates - for each stand, establish a target timetable for harvest of crop trees, specifying the type of regeneration/harvest.
- Regeneration technique - should include a sound proposed regeneration plan for each stand when harvest of final crop trees is completed. Specify intent to naturally regenerate or plant trees.
Contact William H. Lock & Associates, Inc. at (336) 632-9088 or firstname.lastname@example.org for information or assistance in obtaining Present Use Taxation for Forestry.